Educators are expected to remain current, up-to-date, and fluent on all levels and types of special education law and services, types of disability, and aspects of academic and functional programming. With the increasing demands of the job and the ever-changing legal and educational climate, this task can feel challenging and overwhelming.
The following links have been found helpful to educators on legal issues related to supporting students’ academic progress and social emotional & behavioral (SEB) needs. The following resources pertain to federal and state legislation, laws, regulations, policies, legal advisories, and guidance to assist educators in adequately preparing to meet these demands.
- CDE: Special Education Resources
- National Websites related to Federal Constitution, Legislation, Laws, Regulations, and Court Decisions
- CDE: FAQs for LEAs and Behavioral Intervention
- Questions and Answers to Assembly Bill 86 (AB 86), and the requirements related to the identification and provision of behavioral intervention services.
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
- Contains the text of public regulations issued by the agencies of the Federal government. Proposed regulations and regulations issued so recently that they are not yet in the CFR database, may be found in the Federal Register link on this site.
- CDE: Promotion, Retention, and Grading
- Frequently asked questions from the field regarding the promotion, retention, and grading of students with disabilities.